Are you looking for a summer camp that will offer your child a safe and fun experience? Before deciding to send your child to a summer camp, you should first ask how long the camp has been operating and if they are certified by the Board of Health. However, there is much more to finding a summer camp that is a good fit for your child. Summer camps range in price and also vary in the activities that they provide. Some summer camps offer door-to-door transportation. Other summer camps do not. Does the summer camp offer a swim program? What sort of summer camp activities will the children be participating in? Do the campers go on any summer camp field trips?
There are a host of other questions to ask when considering a summer camp to send your child. This is not the whole list of summer camp questions, but here are 10 important questions to ask the summer camp director:
1. Who are the summer camp staff? How does the summer camp go about hiring counselors?
2. Do summer camp counselors have criminal background checks? What sort of first aid training is required for your summer camp staff?
3. What is the return rates of campers at the summer camp?
4. What is the return rate of counselors at the summer camp?
5. What is the ratio of counselor to camper at the summer camp?
6. How old are the counselors and other summer camp staff?
7. What is the summer camp’s approach to discipline? How does the summer camp handle conflicts between campers?
8. What does a typical summer camp daily schedule look like?
9. Will the summer camp be transporting the children to and from their homes? What vehicles are used to transport the children? Who drives the campers and what training do the summer camp drivers have?
10. Are there any parents from my neighborhood who would be willing to give me a reference regarding your summer camp?
Please visit us at one of our summer day camp Open House tours. For more information about our next Open House tour, visit the World of Discovery Summer Day Camp Open House page.